People are significant on the basis of their contribution; the value that they add to others during their lifetime. Being here to give or to serve is therefore the core criterion which accounts for excellence in any individual.
Organisations succeed to the degree to which they solicit the intent of the average employee to make a contribution. This only happens when employees work for people who Care and Grow them.
Teams succeed only when the members of the Team collectively give more than what they take out. That is, when they subordinate their own interests for the bigger interests of the team.
Care and Growth is a universal leadership thematic that is based on the premise that we exist to serve the other, and in doing so, we actually serve the highest of our own self-interest.
Diagnosing Against the Criteria of Excellence
Here at Schuitema we have developed instruments to assist client organisations and individuals to diagnose themselves against the criteria of excellence in the personal, team and leadership spheres.
Enabling You to Achieve Excellence
Schuitema enables its clients to achieve excellence in 3 areas – Team Excellence, Personal Excellence and Leadership Excellence. In all three contexts, Schuitema helps individuals and groups to transform their intent through the shift of attention from taking to giving.
Remediating / Implementation – Coaching & Consultation
Schuitema assists client organisations to establish effective operational teams throughout the enterprise which are focused on contribution and individuals in client organisations to further their personal maturation, a coaching or mentoring service to them.
Schuitema also conducts interventions in client organisations and assists those in command positions to apply the Care and Growth approach to transforming the people side of the business. Each implementation process is, by definition, unique to the client.
Mission & Vision
The 21st century human being.
Their Wants & Needs
Security; Fulfilment; Power; Harmony in times of catastrophic change.
The Transformation We Bring
The shift of attention from taking to giving.
Our Benevolent Intent
To enable people to triumph as human beings.
Introduction to Our Thematic
We are a transformational consultancy with a framework that is based on primary research done in the area of conflict and trust in management under the auspices of the South African Chamber of Mines Research Organisation in the 1980’s. These were very significant times to be doing primary research on conflict and trust in South Africa.
years since 1989
The uniqueness of the framework that was developed, which has been referred to as the Care and Growth™ leadership model, lies in it’s capacity to deal with the issue of excellence at every level, from that of personal excellence to that of organisational excellence. This has enabled us to develop a set of universal themes that we have applied at the level of the individual, the team and the organisation.
companies & counting
We have been consulting to individuals and organisations on the application of this framework since 1990. We have had the opportunity to test the framework in 26 countries on five continents in industries as disparate as agriculture and IT. Our work has vindicated the following two insights which we held when we left the Chamber of Mines to start this business:
- It is possible to take a moribund business beset with industrial conflict & employee distrust and to turn it into a successful organisation that can count on the loyalty & commitment of its people.
- It is possible for people to rise above the alienation and victimhood that besets modern man to achieve authentic personal mastery.
What Our Partners Say
- I worked through the Schuitema thematic with both coaches and their management teams. Although they initially experienced it as counter intuitive, the workshop helped them understand the importance of the coach's focus. If the focus is on the results, the players feel exploited, and if the players experience the coach's intent as being interested in them as people and their wellbeing (Care) and also to empower them to become the best cricketers in the world (Growth), they will be totally committed and the results will follow. Which has just been proven by the success of the Proteas against Australia.
Dr. Francois Hugo, Psychologist for the Proteas, South African Cricket Team
- The Care and Growth model has such strong principles at its foundation that any individual or organization that sincerely commits to applying the processes is bound to experience a profound transformation. Going through the workshop was a humbling experience - I could have never imagined that so many of my management and leadership paradigms were so inadequate.
Asif Misbah, Director, Macter International
- Care & Growth model has really been a great success at Paramount Distributors. Primarily, we have started thinking on all our issues and our people know the process. 90 days accountability shall also enhance the performance, employees have stopped griping as they used to do in the past although that this effect needs to be trickled down to the workers. Management has also started looking at employees as humans rather than means to get some job done. Transformation into a more productive, energetic, systematic, ethical organization is in process.
Muhammad Tariq Ahmed, Director, Paramount Distributors
- One of my staff recently won the Pizza Olympics and I can proudly say that the other staff are just as good as the one who received gold. I had very little staff turnover, and my success with the staff using your guidelines has given me the winning edge, your program works not only in the corporate environment but also in a pizza shop!
Theuns Botha, Scooters Pizza
- I have been looking for an empowerment tool for years and at last have found it.
Gerhard Kinnear, Operations Manager, National Brands Ltd
- I would like to thank you for your input, direction and your CARE AND GROWTH model introduced at the Vuselela Conference in Zimbabwe. My view is that Vuselela is about a philosophy and culture and the reincarnation of a spirit that you helped us set free.
Martin Rosen, Director, Pick 'n Pay
- The Schuitema approach has captured the essential ingredient missing from South Africa in the apartheid era when mediocrity was accepted as inevitable in an African setting.
David Harding, Chairman, REGEN
- The Leadership principles associated with the CARE AND GROWTH of subordinates and teams is the critical success factor in achieving world class performance. This enrolment and empowering model creates an environment of sustained trust, loyalty and willingness as opposed to an environment of grudging compliance. This can be directly linked to superior and sustained business performance.
Testing the hypothesis in the UK, Sweden and Denmark, University of Cambridge
- The CARE AND GROWTH Leadership program addresses the core issue of enabling maximum employee contribution. Unlike many "consulting programs", the Schuitema system addresses fundamental aspects of the human condition and our endeavours. I am a fan of the Schuitema Leadership program and would recommend it to anyone who is genuinely interested in growing people and delivering results.
Ross Duffy, Managing Director, Franke (China) Kitchen Systems Co. Ltd
- This approach enabled Dulux leadership to rally subordinates and create a healthy, growing and market-driven company.
Prejay Lalla, Sales Director, Dulux Decorative
- It is the human key to productivity improvement. It is inspirational and humbling.
Duncan Blackburn, CEO, Dow Southern Africa
- Schuitema was instrumental in changing the leadership style of the Port Elizabeth plant. The CARE AND GROWTH philosophy has been incorporated into our way of life and two years after Schuitema concluded their involvement with us the philosophy is alive and well and accepted by all levels of management. This cannot be said of any other previous interventions.
Trevor George, Manufacturing Director, Bridgestone Firestone SA
- A lot of leadership stuff doing the rounds is considered soft by industrialists. It has to do with cultural change and does not show measurable results. Schuitema’s methods show results which are measurable in terms of safety, productivity and higher standards. A lot of initiatives work but only while they are being applied. There is no lasting change. The Schuitema initiative has proved not only to be sustainable but also capable of growth.
Graham Edwards (Dr), Chief Executive, AECI Limited
- Schuitema concepts are very powerful, as embodied in the Personal Excellence framework and these assimilate beautifully with my cultural values and beliefs. I experienced a paradigm shift in my thinking about my role as a leader.
Adnan Siddiqui, CEO, Askari Investment Management
- I have applied Care and Growth and it has really worked for me. My people are more motivated than in 20 years and I don’t have what is a traditional problem in this business of retention. My CSI is the best in the country across all the Mercedes Benz dealerships.
Brand Services Manager, Cargo Motors
- Johnson Matthey Catalysts has had a 7 year (and ongoing) working relationship with Schuitema Associates which has transformed Leadership in JMC. The bottom line is that we have better managers now than we did and the majority of them are the same people. But not only that, it is they who have made this a stronger and more profitable business which has a long term sustainable future.
Ben Jenkinson, HR Director, Johnson Matthey Catalysts
- The biggest beneficiaries of this intervention are the operators at the shop floor, as their line supervisors and managers not only develop strong service cultures, but mature in their intent and behaviour towards those they have been appointed to lead. The simplicity and fundamental truths underpinning the learning make this a popular organizational intervention, as the principles hold true for both the working and the personal lives of every human being. I can therefore strongly recommend its use as a tool for effecting sustainable change in the culture and performance of mining operations.
Horst Jäger, General Manager, Nkomati Mine
- The intervention was a huge success and the “hard” parameters as well as the “soft” improved immensely. The most profound change in the organisation was the development of courage and generosity in the people. These are the key elements of “Intent” that underpin the Care and Growth model and what made a huge difference to the culture of AEL.
Graham Edwards (Dr), Chief Executive, AECI Limited
- Harding saw the need for a central theme, or ‘golden thread’ as he terms it, which would run through the transformation process and provide a focus and common vision. ‘Making change endemic in AEL’ is his transformation goal. Harding found this golden thread in a leadership model developed by Schuitema Associates. Harding recognised the model’s potential as the ‘golden thread’ he was looking for and Schuitema became involved in implementing the model.
David Harding, Executive Operations Manager, AEL Mining Services
- The model in itself in fascinating in that it gives a simple language that everyone from an operator to an MD can understand and engage with. I can't think of any other leadership model that I have engaged with that speaks to all manner of men - “it's not consultant speak” - it gets to the heart of what being a human is all about. Most of the models I remember confused the trainers, let alone the people who were supposed to live and breathe the stuff afterward.
Chris Walker, Johnson Matthey Catalysts
- A programme of change in work style and behaviour has transformed the Johnson Matthey site at Panki, India. A workplace that was once characterised by a strong sense of 'them' and 'us' – the worker / management divide – has now become home to a strong team ethic and commitment to excellence. Productivity at work has increased, hand in hand with a greater emphasis on employee and community wellbeing. This remarkable paradigm shift has earned Panki the 2008/09 Sustainability Award for People.
Tarun Ghoshal, General Manager, Johnson Matthey Catalysts
- New post on the Intent Blog: Smart Successful Leaders Invest in their People. Are you one of them? http://t.co/iC600w2elv
9 hours ago
- The self cannot own power. Power is granted by the other. A person only has power insofar as the people he looks after grant him power.
11 hours ago
- When a leader doesn't trust his subordinate he disables his subordinate's ability to take responsibility. #Intent http://t.co/QUQaOxwvFJ
- The 1st step to change the character of your internal dialogue is diagnostic-Start a daily journal about what it is like to be in your skin
2 days ago
- Do you honestly think that a person who has a big bank account is any more secure than you are? #Intent http://t.co/l6ZjoRpGhT
3 days ago
- New post on the Intent Blog: Three Lessons About Talent From Monks http://t.co/50BnvWs6SR
4 days ago
- There's no imprisonment and oppression that gets exercised over us which we're not complicit with. #Intent http://t.co/uS1BfTAMe1
4 days ago
- New post on the Intent Blog: Making a Leadership Job Intrinsically Fulfilling http://t.co/RWWY5GIcyc
5 days ago
- Surely the implication of life being a disaster is that you are dead? #Intent http://t.co/L7YvNplfch
5 days ago
- New post on the Intent Blog: The Science of Happiness http://t.co/yEdgnW32uA
6 days ago